Generally speaking, it is very easy to say one is healthy when the person is free from sicknesses. Right?
However, may I inform or remind you again that being healthy is not just about being physically fine alone.
The fact that you see someone free from headache or any disease means the person is free from sicknesses.
Being healthy cuts across all areas of life and they are interwoven.
Someone that is physically fine and not emotionally stable is not healthy.
Someone that is emotionally sound and not spiritually standing is not healthy.
In fact, being healthy starts with being healthy in our SOULS.
3 John 2 says 👇
” Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth” (KJV)
Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well (NIV).
Dear friend, I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit(NLT).
Beloved, I pray that in every way you may succeed and prosper and be in good health [physically], just as [I know] your soul prospers [spiritually] (AMP).
This writer said that he wished we are in good health EVEN AS/JUST AS our SOULS (spiritual lives) prosper.
THIS SIMPLY MEANS THE DEGREE AT WHICH YOUR SOUL PROSPERS IS HOW HEALTHY YOU WILL BE.
Most times, we are so quick to quote this verse without thinking deep about the condition “EVEN AS”.
The question we should ask ourselves is ARE OUR SOULS PROSPERING?
Are we so confident that we can tell God that we want to be physically healthy at the degree at which our souls are prospering?
HOW DO WE ENSURE THAT OUR SOULS PROSPER?
1) BY CONSTANT PRAYING.
Praying can never be put asides or overly spoken of. A sustained communication with God deepens our relationship and intimacy with Him. And we all know that prayer is the avenue through which we get to communicate with God.
Let me share a personal example here:
Some days back, I was really afraid. Some things were making me afraid. The fear was so palpable that I could almost literally feel it with my hands. And it was stylishly affecting my efficiency.
It got to a point and I started praying and casting out the spirit of fear. And guess what? It worked. I felt an unusual rest and peace after the prayers.
Do you know that if the fear in my heart wasn’t dealt with, it would cause me to be mentally disorganized. Before you know it, one will start running temperature and maybe start developing high blood pressure. But PRAYING about the situation settled it all.
So, PRAYING is an essential to ensuring that our soul prospers.
2) STUDYING OF THE SCRIPTURES.
This goes hand in hand with praying. None of them can work in isolation.
If you are fervent in praying and you are not grounded in the Word of God through studying, then you are not prospering in your soul and vice versa.
3) SING: Singing helps keep the soul in perfect harmony. Sing Psalms. Sing Praises.
4) FELLOWSHIPPING WITH OTHER BELIEVERS: The Bible says NOT FORSAKING THE ASSEMBLY OF BELIEVERS. Being among like minded people helps us grow and stay healthy.
Now that we have looked at ways by which our soul prospers so that we can be in good health, let us look at some basic things we need to as well
1) DRINKING ENOUGH WATER: Drinking water can never be over emphasized. Not drinking enough water is a veryyyy bad habit oooo. And truth is that many are caught in this web of not drinking water.
There are more to just taking water. Do you know there are some sicknesses that can be prevented/cure just by drinking water? Drinking water will naturally prevent or flush out kidney stones.
Kidneys are the body’s filtration system but they require a copious amount of water to do their job properly and flush unwanted toxins out. Without proper hydration, the kidneys become unable to filter the blood properly, and you risk all kinds of hilarious nasties, from kidney stones to disease.
Please, don’t always wait till you are thirsty before you drink water.
Water your life well everyday 🤗.
Read: Health Benefits of Drinking Water
2) SLEEPING WELL: Lack of sleep can be very dangerous. Let us endeavour to always find time to sleep well. We need nothing less than 6 hours sleep daily.
Good sleep boosts the immune system, enhances mood and improve concentration.
Sleeping well is essentially needed to live healthily.
3) EXERCISE: This is one underrated activity human being engage in 😂. Most times, people that lose weight or those in sports are the ones that tend to exercise more. And this ought not to be so.
Do you know that exercising helps relieve stress and depression? Yes, it does.
Exercising boosts the immune system and strengthens the bone.
Exercising also prevents lots of diseases.
Exercising helps to keep fit and remain healthy.
And the truth is you don’t even have to go to the gym before you can exercise. There are simple home workouts that you can do.
There are lots of apps and even YouTube videos that can serve as guides.
Do you know that walking itself is a form of exercise. Instead of taking that #50 taxi, you can decide to trek instead.
I recently got across a WALKING AT HOME YouTube channel by Leslie Sansone and it’s been super amazing.
Very soon, I will also love to add running to my exercise routine 🤗.
Let us make exercising a lifestyle. It might not be easy initially but once you get used to it, it becomes much easier and enjoyable.
4) BALANCED DIET/MINDFUL EATING: Recently, I’ve come to realize that it’s not because God has not blessed us with good health. It’s just that we are the ones damaging the good health by ourselves.
I’m sure you have had the sentence YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT so many times.
Our diet plays a major role in how healthy we are.
√ Eat balanced diet.
√ Be mindful of your portion.
√ Take lots of fruits and vegetables.
√ Reduce or eliminate feeding on processed foods and drinks.
Other important things to do in order to stay healthy include:
1) LOVING: This is the attributes of God that we all must possess. In fact, it is a great commandment by God.
TO LIVE HEALTHILY, LOVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY.
Love God and love your neighbour.
Hatred, grudges and fight have a way of affecting one’s mental and emotional health which might in turn affects one physically.
2) FORGIVING: Personally, there is a way forgiving people that offends me give me rest, joy and peace. Life is too short to be living a life of restlessness. Besides, unforgiveness is a sin.
3) LETTING GO OF THE PAST: The past can be such a heavy load that can hamper one’s health. No matter what, move past the past.
Read also: 50 ways to stay healthy