Moringa oleifera is a plant also known as drumstick, horseradish or miracle tree.
Moringa is called the miracle tree because it has been reported in phytomedicine to cure as much as 300 diseases.
Moringa is a tree that has several vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytochemicals in abundance.
Moringa has lots of antifungal, antiviral, antidepressant and inflammatory properties and has been widely used for nutritional, pharmacological and medicinal purposes.
Like I said early, Moringa has been known to cure as much as 300 diseases and that’s a whole lot. No wonder it us called THE MIRACLE TREE.
In this article, we will looking at 20 health benefits of Moringa.
1) Moringa contains polyphenols and isothiocyanates which greatly help in reduction of inflammation in the body.
2) The leaves of Moringa contain an antioxidant called chlorogenic acid. Chlorogenic acid acts as a natural fat burner which invariably makes Moringa leaves suitable for weight loss.
3) Moringa powder is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which is a powerful antioxidant for inhibiting the growth of cancer.
4) The powdered form of Moringa leaves can be applied on cuts and wounds. It aids the healing of cuts and wounds. It also clears of marks that the cut or wound might want to leave on the skin.
5) Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients abundantly found in Moringa make it a great choice for boosting energy and the immune system.
6) Moringa contains about 30% fiber. This help in digestion and prevent constipation.
7) Moringa helps in balancing the blood sugar and glucose levels in the body which makes it suitable for diabetics patients.
8) Regular consumption of Moringa leaf gives necessary nutrients needed for a healthy pregnancy. Moringa leaves also improve breast milk production.
9) Moringa helps to relieve menstrual cramps.
10) Moringa contains calcium and phosphorous which enhance strong and healthy bones.
11) Moringa contains quercetin, an antioxidant that helps to lower blood pressure.
12) Moringa helps to improve sleep.
13) Moringa leaves are effective natural adaptogen. Adaptogens are herbs or plants that help the body relieve stress.
14) Moringa helps in fighting infections because of its antimicrobial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
15) Moringa improves eyesight.
Moringa leaf can be taken as tea or incorporated into diet.
It is also available in capsule form which should be taken as prescribed.
Moringa tea can be flavoured with honey.
MORINGA FOR HAIR AND SKIN
Moringa powder is high in vitamins that greatly help in enhancing hair growth and improving the skin.
Moringa oil obtained from moringa seeds is also a good moisturizer for the skin.
All these health benefits centers on usage of Moringa leaves only. It doesn’t mean that the barks and roots are not useful.
In fact, the roots of Moringa are believed to fight bacteria and fungi and purify water.
However, the bark and root can be very poisonous if used inappropriately. It is even unsafe for pregnant woman to use the root or bark of Moringa as it can cause miscarriage. The roots contain spirochin, a toxic substance.