There is this general belief that men love eating beans than women. I have always wondered why this is so. Could it be as a result of nature? Of course, I don’t think it is a rule as well.
I know beans is one of the major source of protein being taught in schools. It one of the foods we eat a lot in my family as well. Despite all these, I couldn’t love beans still. I prefer rice to any other food. Everybody knows me as rice freak. I had eaten rice for a whole week before and I never got tired of it.
At a point, I had to reason along with the fact that I needed protein in my body. I was really deficient of protein and I have to fall in love with beans by force. Now, beans is one of my best food as I’m really enjoying it.
Beans are food plants of the Papilionaceous family , in which there are as well known trees as the carob tree or herbs as alfalfa. Beans are another species of papilionaceous used as food for the nutritional value of seeds enclosed in their pods.
The genus Phaseolus is the commonest and it comprises about 36 species.
1) Phaseolus vulgaris : Also called “common bean”.
2) Phaseolus coccineus: Known by the common name of runner bean or scarlet runner bean .
3) Phaseolus acutifolius : (Tepary bean)
4) Phaseolus polyanthus : (Year bean)
The above species are still classified into varieties. Some of which are :
* kidney beans
* soy beans
* garbanzo beans
* adzuki beans
* lima beans
* red lentils
* green lentils
* brown lentils
* black beans
* black eyed peas
* broad beans
* red beans
* butter beans
* fava beans
* great northern beans
* haricot beans
* mung beans
* navy beans
* pinto beans
* yellow split peas
* green split peas
* white beans
Some of these varieties are not found in Nigeria. Nevertheless,beans is still beans.
Why Should We Eat Beans ?
1) Beans are known to be a high source of protein.
2) They contain negligible fat, sodium, and
cholesterol. Health benefits of beans include a good amount of dietary fiber.
3) It also contains important minerals like calcium (for bone health) and potassium (for overall health).
3) It is rich in folates, which help in keeping a healthy heart and preventing cancer. Folates are also very important for women of childbearing ages and those in early stages of pregnancy.
Read this: Health benefits of Folic Acid
4) Beans also provide the body with soluble fiber, which plays an important role in controlling blood cholesterol levels. Studies find that about 10 grams of soluble fiber a day reduces cholesterol by about 10 percent.
5) Beans also contain saponins and phytosterols,which help lower cholesterol.
Debunk the theory that says beans make people purge. It isn’t true. All of you have to ensure is cooking the beans properly.
There are many varieties of food one can prepare from beans. Anyone still finding it difficult to eat beans can try any of the varieties. We have both local and international dishes we can get from beans. Some of the local dishes are :
1) Moi Moi (Moin Moin)
The beans coat is removed by a special
technique and the beans blended and cooked with ingredients. These days, some people do not peel the beans before preparing this meal especially when using brown beans.
2) White Moi Moi (Ekuru)
Another version of Moi Moi which is cooked
without any ingredients, usually eaten with stew and Eko.
3) Akara (Bean Cake/Balls)
This is another food recipe where beans
coat is removed, the seeds blended and fried to make balls known as bean cakes. It is a very popular breakfast meal.
4) Ewa Agoyin
Also known as Beans & Stew. Is is a good way to enjoy beans even if you are not a fan of beans. It tastes oh-so-good with soft, stretchy bread.
5) Peeled Beans Porridge
In this beans recipe, the beans coat is also
removed and the beans cooked as in Beans Porridge.
6) Gbegiri Soup
Gbegiri Soup is a Yoruba soup prepared with beans. It goes well with Amala when served with Ewedu Soup.
Better still, beans can be cooked with rice. This can be served with stew and meat/fish. Yummy!!! Yummy!!!
It is advisable to have beans or its varieties in the family menu especially when you have young children in the family.
BEANS ALL THE WAY.